It can be very intuitive and fun to use your Android phone as a computer. You can use it in many different situations. You can power your old slow, dusty laptop with an android phone.
This mode offers endless possibilities, but projects such as RemixOS have not been able to make a significant impact. A team of Google employees tried to make an android desktop that was fully functional, but it failed.
Although this concept didn’t work out, Samsung and Huawei have integrated the feature in a number of their smartphones. What is desktop mode and how do you use it on your Android phones? This article will provide all you need to know to enable desktop mode on your Android 12 smartphone.
What’s Android Desktop Mode?
Android desktop mode lets you simply use your phone as a computer. Although it sounds simple, it’s not something that is widely available and supported only by a few phone manufacturers. It is more of a testing bench than a function.
Android Desktop Mode lets you use all the functions of your smartphone on a larger computer. It also allows for more processing power. All the apps available on your android phone can be used in desktop mode.
Although brands like Motorola and Samsung have made some progress in this area, it’s still not perfect and isn’t easily accessible by everyone. There is an easy trick to enable you to use the android 12 desktop mode. In the following sections, we will discuss this trick.
How do I activate the Desktop Mode
This function will turn any android device into a computer by connecting it to any display, laptop or computer. Google’s “Desktop Mode”, which was introduced in Android 10, has a hidden function that turns any Android into a desktop.
This secret function was also carried over from Android 11 to Android 12, and it is likely that Android 12 will be even more advanced. You can technically use Android 11 desktop or Android 10 desktop mode. This is not limited to Android 12. There are some things you need to do before activating the desktop mode and making use of it.
Requirements for Android 12 Desktop Mode
You will need to have Android 12 Desktop Mode working on Android 12. Keep in mind, this mode is experimental and may not work as you expected.
- A phone with Android 10 and above. The android 12 is the ideal phone, as it has more features than Android 12.
- Developer options. You must enable the developer options on your phone. This can be done by going to your phone’s settings, clicking the “Build Number”, and then clicking several times on it until you see “You are now an administrator.”
- USB C-to HDMI adapter. A way to link your smartphone to your computer via HDMI or display output is required. To connect to your Android phone, you can purchase a USB C to HDMI adapter.
Force Desktop for Developer Options
Next, you can force desktop mode using the settings on your Android phone. If you’ve enabled developer options, then you can force desktop mode from the settings.
These are the steps to follow.
- Visit Developer Options
- Scroll down and find Force Desktop Mode. To toggle it on, click here.
This function will be available on almost all phones of the Samsung or Moto series. You just need to turn it on.
Use Desktop Mode
You are now ready to go for setting up the device. These steps will allow you to turn your smartphone into an android desktop.
- This app is called Lawnchair. This app is not available in the Play Store. Instead, you can use this APK for it to be downloaded to your smartphone. This is an enhanced version of Lawnchair Launcher that has TaskBar embedded into it.
- You can select Lawnchair to be your default browser from the settings menu.
- Start your Android device.
- The USB-C adapter can be used to link your smartphone to the television/display/laptop.
- You should be able see your custom Android 10/11/12 in a matter of seconds depending on which version you have.
- The next question will ask you, “Display other apps”. You will be asked to enable it. TaskBar also needs the permission. You will need to give “usage access” permission to TaskBar in order for it to display recent apps at the bottom of the bar.
You are done. You are not done. You might find that your apps look awkward and large on the screen. To make your apps look uniform, calibrate the DPI and display resolution. Display problems such as missing navigation buttons or out-of-place buttons might be apparent.
This can be fixed, however you will need to download another app and tweak the settings. These are the steps.
- Remove your smartphone from any display/laptop, or terminal.
- Install this ADB from your computer. It is available at this link. If you are unsure how to install ADB, it also contains instructions.
- Then, download the second screen application from the Play Store. For the app to work, make sure you have version 2.9.1 and above
- Follow the on-screen instructions to run the following command from your computer.
adb sheel pm grant com.farmerbb.secondscreen.free android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
- This app will allow you to adjust the display’s UI. This app adjusts your display’s resolution and alters your UI elements.
The Advantages of Android 12 Desktop mode
Even on an average Android phone, they are extremely powerful. This phone can perform all tasks that a computer can. The only thing that holds it back is its tiny size, which may limit its productivity. With peripherals such as a keyboard or mouse, you can use the same amount of processing power on a larger screen.
Reusing old hardware is another advantage. You can use an older laptop that’s slow to make an Android desktop. Only one thing you need is a functioning HDMI port.
Android Desktop Mode offers endless possibilities. It is easier to do more on a larger screen than you can on a smaller screen.
There is no list of Android phones that have desktop mode. This feature will be available on any newer model of phone. This feature will be available on all android phones over 10 years old. This functionality is not yet available on phones from Motorola, Samsung, Xiaomi and Huawei.