Having a backup of your data is very useful if your system is damaged. To this end, you should back up your data regularly to accessible storage locations. If you are busy with other tasks, you can use Windows 10’s automatic system backup feature to back up your data during a normal period. The disadvantage, however, is the amount of data stored. It can fill your hard drive or other hardware devices.
Windows also stores a lot of unnecessary data that can tax your resources. However, it can also be periodically cleared with some old data. The main question we will answer in this article is: How to delete backup files in Windows 10? There are several ways to delete backup files in Windows 10. To delete the backup files and free up space on your computer, follow these steps.
Easy ways to delete backup files in Windows 10
Method 1: Delete Windows Restore Points
One of the first features was System Restore, which creates an image of your current Windows installation and its data. This component is present in Windows 10 and is used to create restore points for major updates. If it is large and contains too many recovery points, it can take up a lot of disk space. Getting rid of some of these restoration items can be a useful way to make room for other documents.
- Call up the Execute window by pressing Win+R simultaneously.
- Enter the object security system and press Enter.
- In the newly opened window, click on the System Security tab.
- Press the configuration button
- The System Protection window opens. Click on Delete. This will remove all restore points from the system
- You can also change the amount of usable space in this element by moving the Maximum Usage slider.
- Although not offered, you can also disable this item and restore all space saved by the system for public use by clicking the Disable System Protection button.
- Press OK to save the settings when you are finished.
Method 2: Removing the old Windows.old folder after a system update
If you need to free up space after a major Windows 10 upgrade, you should start by deleting the old Windows folder. This is obviously done to back up your old Windows installation during a major Windows upgrade. You can also check how to take a screenshot in Windows 8.1 / 10 [Full Guide].
You don’t have to worry about deleting this folder, in most cases Windows deletes it automatically a month after the upgrade. If you need to delete it earlier to get the space back earlier, you can always do that.
- To delete a folder, open the Run window by pressing Win+R.
- Enter cleanmgr and click OK
- In the new window, click Delete System Files.
- In the list of files to be deleted, make sure the facilities in the previous window are selected. To save extra storage space, you can also activate various settings or folders that will now be deleted.
- When finished, click OK to start the uninstall process.
This will delete the old Windows folder, freeing up several gigabytes of disk space at once. However, you will not be able to restore your old Windows installation afterwards. So make sure all updates and new installations are working properly before proceeding.
Method 3: Delete old backups with file history
- Open the Control Panel by searching on the desktop
- Enter the term File History Cleanup in the search box above and click on the corresponding link.
- Select the advanced settings on the left side
- Then click on the Remove Versions button.
- Select the period of the versions you want to remove and choose Remove.
- Click OK when the cleaning process is complete.
Method 4: Using the command line
- Press Win + X to open the command line.
- Run the series of commands for the time of the versions you want to delete and then press Enter.
- All but the last.
FhManagew.exe -cleanup 0
FhManagew.exe – Clarification 0 – Silence
- Files for 1 month or more
FhManagew.exe -clean up 30
FhManagew.exe – Cleanup 30 – Silence
- Files for 3 months or more
FhManagew.exe -cleanup 90
FhManagew.exe – Cleanup 90 – Silence
- 6 months or more
FhManagew.exe -cleanup 180
FhManagew.exe – Removal 180 – Silence
- More than one year (standard) –
FhManagew.exe -cleanup 365
FhManagew.exe – Cleanup 365 – Silence
- Execute the first command or the -still command.
- If no old document forms are detected, click Close and repeat step 2 above, if necessary with a more limited time.
- Click the OK button when the cleanup is complete.
Method 5: Use of the integrated instrument
In Windows 10/8/7, you can use the snap-in Backup and Restore utility to back up your disk data as you would in Windows, provided you set a schedule. How to delete backup files in Windows 10 at this point because of the backup drive? Proceed as follows:
- Open the Control Panel by searching on the desktop
- Select Backup and Restore (Windows 7) from the list of available options.
- Select the Memory Management option
- In the Manage Windows Backups window, you can free up space for backups in two ways
- When you click View Backups, you must select a backup period to delete your Windows backup files. Pay close attention and select the old period, then click Delete to remove the backed up files for more storage space.
- If you choose Change Settings to free up disk space by changing the way your old Windows system images are stored. This allows Windows 10 Backup to automatically delete old backups.
- Then you will see two options in the pop-up window as shown in the figure.
- The first option is selected by default. That’s why Windows stores system images, but they don’t take up more than 30% of hard drive space if you let Windows manage the space. When it reaches the 30% mark, the old system images are deleted.
- If it is important to you to have the most recent images and you need to keep track of your storage, you should choose to keep only the most recent images. Just choose the right program to delete backup files in Windows 10/8/7 depending on your needs.
These are some of the best ways to delete old backup files in Windows 10. Follow these steps carefully, and if one solution doesn’t work, move on to the next. We hope we have helped you learn how to delete backup files in Windows 10.
The post How to remove backup files in Windows 10 [5 ways to work] appeared first on .
frequently asked questions
How do I delete backed up Windows files?
Remove Windows 6 backup files…
How do I delete a .BAK file?
Use the Windows cleanup program to remove unnecessary files. To invoke it, click Start, go to Run (or just press the Windows logo-key + R), type: cleanmgr and click OK. By default it starts with C:. Click OK, then select all delete options and click OK.
How do I delete backup history files?
Open the Control Panel and click on the File History icon. Click on the Advanced Settings link in the left column. Then click on the Remove Versions button. From the drop-down menu, select the age from which you want to delete versions of files and folders, and then click Delete.
Feedback,how to delete backup files windows 10,how to delete backup files in windows 7,where are windows 10 backup files stored,how to delete iphone backup files in windows 10,windows 10 backup delete old backups automatically,how to delete system image backup windows 10,Privacy settings,How Search works,manage windows backup disk space windows 10,how to delete windows 7 backup files in windows 10