A common question among HEVC users is how can I open HEVC files on my Windows computer? There are two main methods: 1. Convert HEVC files to MP4 or other supported formats. 2. Convert HEVC files to Windows Media files, which can be opened with other software.
HEIC and HEVC are new file formats that offer better bitrates and compression levels than the existing H.264 standard, which is used by most modern devices. These formats are currently supported by Windows 10 and are still being adopted by device manufacturers. The lack of native support for the new file formats is causing some problems for Windows users, and this guide is designed to help you out.
If you are searching for a way to open HEIC and HEVC files in Windows 11, then you have come to the correct place. This blog will show you how to open HEIC and HEVC files in Windows 11.
Here’s how to open HEIC and HEVC files in Windows 11, which aren’t supported by the operating system by default. Despite their growing popularity, Windows cannot access or process HEIC (high-efficiency image compression) or HEVC (high-efficiency video compression) files without extra software (codecs). Windows 11, the most recent version, is no exception. If you try to open a HEIC file in Windows 11’s default Photos program, you’ll get an error notice saying “We cannot open this file.”
This article will show you how to resolve the issue and open HEIC and HEVC photos in Windows 11.
In Windows 11, open HEIC and HEVC files.
You’ll need to download a set of codecs to open HEIC files in Windows 11 and Windows 10. Unfortunately, those codecs are not available for free. You may have to pay at least $0.99 depending on where you are. Fortunately, that is a one-time charge that will operate on all of your Windows 11 and Windows 10 devices in the future.
Follow these steps to open HEIC photos and HEVC videos in Windows 11.
- From the Microsoft Store, get the HEIF Image Extensions app. To open it right immediately, click this link. If the “Launch” button appears in Microsoft Store instead of the “Get” or “Free” buttons, the app is already installed on your computer. Continue to the next step after skipping this one.
- HEVC Video Extensions is the second app you should download. Despite the name’s mention of videos, Windows requires the extension to open HEIF photos. To purchase the app, click the $0.99 button and follow the on-screen instructions.
- You’ll be able to open both HEIF and HEVC files after the HEVC Video Extensions app is installed.
- File thumbnails will also be enabled in File Explorer by Windows.
How to open HEIF and HEVC files in Windows 11 for free
You’re undoubtedly wondering if HEVC and HEIF files can be opened in Windows 11 without paying $0.99. The software costs one dollar, but many people find the notion that they have to pay for such a basic feature in a costly operating system unacceptable.
Fortunately, there are free third-party codecs for Windows 11 that can open HEVC/HEIF files. If you need to work with HEIC photos, CopyTrans is an excellent choice. Keep in mind that HEVC-videos are not supported by CopyTrans.
- Click Download on the official CopyTrans HEIF website.
- Follow the on-screen instructions after opening the downloaded installer.
- Make sure “I am installing CopyTrans HEIC for home use” is selected. Consumers can use the app for free, while businesses must pay to use it.
- Finish the installation.
- HEIC photos can now be opened in Windows 11. Even if CopyTrans is installed, the default Photos app will not open HEIC files. The original Windows Photo Viewer must be configured as the default app for HEIC files.
- Right-click any HEIC file and select Open with > Windows Photo Viewer. Use our dedicated guide to learn how to set default apps in Windows 11.
Many third-party video players include HEVC-video codecs built-in. VLC, one of the greatest third-party video players, can play HEVC without requiring the installation or purchase of additional codecs or programs. VLC is available for download from the official website.
Please help us.
Winaero is completely reliant on your help. Use these options to assist the site keep giving you interesting and valuable material and software:
HEIC and HEVC have been introduced by Apple to improve the compression of iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra. The new formats are also used by Android OS to compress HEVC and H E I C formats for better storage of videos and images. The new formats are becoming increasingly popular among the users because of their smaller size and better performance. The HEIC format can store more photos and videos than the standard JPEG format. HEVC, on the other hand, is highly efficient in terms of storage and bandwidth usage.. Read more about convert heic to jpg windows 10 and let us know what you think.
This article broadly covered the following related topics:
- how to open heic file in windows
- copytrans heic
- heic viewer
- heic file viewer
- convert heic to jpg windows 10