PS3 Emulator

The PS3 Emulator can now run any PlayStation 3 game that has ever been released.

It’s a significant achievement for the emulator, which is in its tenth year.

From those humble beginnings, the team behind it has today announced a major achievement: every PS3 game ever released will now boot up.

Earlier today, the RPCS3 team tweeted:

They are overjoyed to announce that there are now ZERO games in the Nothing status on RPCS3. Meaning that all known games and applications at the very least boot on the emulator, with no known regressions preventing games from booting, and that they are looking forward to emptying out Loadable as well!

Over 6000 games and programs have been monitored in the emulator’s history, so getting every single one of them to some stage of booting up is a huge accomplishment. Only one of the emulator’s five playability tiers—”Playable”—is worth your time, as the others are riddled with errors, have performance issues, or simply refuse to load past the title screens.

While cleaning out the “Nothing” tier, which previously consisted of “games that don’t initialize properly, don’t load at all, and/or crash the emulator,” is impressive, it doesn’t mean that every single PS3 game ever released will now run smoothly and without issue on your reasonably recent PC. Currently, 63.53 percent of PS3 games are “playable” on the emulator, leaving 36.47 percent unplayable; still a fantastic figure, but one to keep in mind!

Following this, they “look forward to emptying out Loadable too!” as stated in the announcement tweet, which shouldn’t take long given that only 0.19 percent of games are still in that stage. After that, only 5.75 percent are in the “Intro” stage, which means they’ll boot but won’t “get it through the menus,” so those two tiers may be eliminated soon. You can use this page to see if a particular game is compatible with the emulator.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.