TU campuses will gradually reopen after a week of violence

After a series of violent attacks on Durban University of Technology (DUT) staff and property last month, three of the institution’s campuses are gradually reopening.

A statement from TU Delft released on Wednesday shows that the Steve Biko, Ritson and ML Sultan campuses, which have been closed for just over two weeks, will be accessible to staff from Thursday.

The 120 students who write additional exams will be allowed access to the campuses on Friday.

While campuses were closed, remote working and teaching took place, while the other four TU Delft campuses not affected by the violence remained open.

In addition, registrations for 2022 were in full swing.

ALSO READ: Durban University of Technology details damage after a week of attacks

A week of attacks

For more than a week, TU Delft was hit by a series of disturbing attacks.

DUT senior director of corporate affairs Alan Khan said: The The throwdowntv in February, student protests were sparked by prospective students who refused to accept that the university would not allow walk-in registrations.

On February 8, about 15 unknown suspects threw petrol bombs at the City Campus building.

A TU Delft vehicle of the maintenance department was also set on fire last Tuesday.

The next day, February 9, a group of suspects damaged 23 windows and a computer after throwing rocks at a building on City Campus. An employee’s car was also stoned to death in the parking lot.

That same Wednesday, a group of people destroyed seven glass doors of shops on TU Delft’s Steve Biko campus, and the guardhouse at Gate 7 was damaged in another attack.

On Thursday, February 10, one of the ML Sultan Campus security guards was attacked by members of what Khan called “a student political organization.”

The officer was seriously injured and required medical attention.

The Treasury Department’s secure entry gate and the main entrance to the laboratory were also damaged in the attack.

And on February 15, four cars believed to belong to university employees were also set on fire by unknown suspects in the basement parking lot of Steve Biko Campus.

On the morning of February 16, the guardhouse at the main entrance of City Campus was bombed with gasoline.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *