Every Mac user will find the idea of using Windows OS intriguing. Windows 11 has many new features and layouts. It doesn’t matter if you are interested in the features, but the idea of running a Windows 11 OS from your M1 chip on your Mac is something to consider.
As you may already be aware, M1 Macs cannot run Windows 11 directly. This is unfortunate, but what if there was a way to run Windows 11 on Mac M1 chip? This article will discuss the use of Parallels to run Windows on Mac M1 Macs. Let’s start, without further delay!
Windows can be run on Mac M1
Let’s start by saying that Windows 11 cannot be directly installed on Mac M1 chip without any modifications or additional installation. There are however ways around the strict Apple ecosystem limitations. Windows 11 needs a physical TPM chip. It is the same as the Apple T2 chips for the M1 Mac.
Parallels are where you come in. They can intelligently mimic TPM modules on Mac systems, so that Windows 11 runs smoothly. Parallels 17 allows you to install Windows 11 on Mac M1 chip, but you cannot run Windows 11 Insider Preview for ARM on M1 Macs. You cannot use the standard x86 Windows 11 version on Intel Macs. However, Parallels is expected to soon allow for it.
Windows ARM has a similar interface to Windows Standard, but does not have the same functionality. It only supports ARM and Advanced RISC Machine chip chips so many apps and softwares might not work unless the ARM is compatible. Parallels is the best way to install Windows 11 on M1 Macs since Boot Camp doesn’t work with them.
What is Parallels?
Parallels can be described as a virtual machine program. Parallels runs an OS on a different computer. This is called a virtual machine. You can use Parallels to run Windows and Mac apps in a Mode called Coherence.
Alternative to Boot Camp that requires Windows installation on an additional partition of the M1 Mac’s SSD/HDD, this is an option. Boot Camp allows you to only run one OS simultaneously. Switching between OSes will result in a restart. Parallels are a better alternative to Boot Camp and make it easier and more fluid to switch between Windows OS and Mac OS.
Requirements for Running Windows on M1 Mac
You will need Parallels 17 first and foremost. The version is compatible with Windows 11 on macOS Catalina and Monterey. Parallels 17 Home costs approximately $80. If you have an older version you can upgrade for $50. You can try them for free, but only for a limited time. You can download the trial version from Parallels’ official website.
After your OS installation, you’ll need a Windows 11 license. This can be purchased from Microsoft. You will need to download Windows 11 on ARM preview build from Microsoft if Windows 11 is to be installed on Mac M1 chip. A Microsoft account will be needed to register with Windows Insider Program. M1 chips are not capable of running the Intel version Windows 11 on Parallels 17.
Install Windows 11 on a M1 Mac.
We now know what all these steps are and how they work, let’s move on to the actual steps for running Windows on M1 Macs. You will soon be able install Windows 11 on Mac M1 Chips if you follow the steps. This is how you do it.
- Install Parallels 17 on your M1 Mac. To ensure that Parallels Desktop can access your Mac’s Desktop and Documents folders while installing it, you must allow it.
- Register to the Windows Insider Program, and you will receive a Windows Client 64 Insider Preview in VHDX disk images.
- Double-click on the VHDX File that you just downloaded from Parallels. Follow the instructions to install Windows 11 successfully.
- After the M1 Mac has completed its installation, you’ll see an “Installation Complete” pop-up message. To continue, click inside the window.
- Parallels will prompt you to create a Parallels account if you’re using the trial version. You will then see Windows 11 on the desktop and be ready to go.
- Switch to seamless mode, which allows you to use Windows apps alongside Mac apps. Focus on the Windows 11 window. Select View and Enter coherence from the menu bar. You can press CTRL + Command + C or use the keyboard to switch to seamless mode.
- To exit Coherence mode click the Windows logo icon on the Dock. Select View and Exit Coherence from the menu bar. You can also press Ctrl+Command+C again.
- When you’re ready to purchase a Windows 11 license official, open the Settings app. You will then be able purchase the Windows 11 official license you want from the Microsoft Store by tapping on Activate Now followed closely by ‘Open Store’
This is all you need to know about how to install Windows 11 for M1 Macs. For the best results, make sure to read the instructions carefully and adhere to them. Although it may seem daunting, once you get used to the process, Windows will run smoothly on M1 Mac. It is possible to assist your family and friends who still have questions about how to install Windows OS on M1 chip.
This article should have helped you to understand how Apple limits can be bypassed. We wish you all the best and have a great time browsing.
What is the best way to install Windows 11 on my MacBook Pro?
1. Download the VirtualBox installer from above. Click on the Virtualbox icon in your Dock. Click the New button in the menu bar located at the top.
Is it possible to install Windows 11 on a MacBook Pro?
You don’t have to buy a brand new Windows PC. Instead, you can install Windows 11 on your MacBook Pro. Apple has made it impossible to install Windows 11 on MacBook Pro using Boot Camp due to the transition from Intel processors.
What is the cost of installing Windows 11 on a Mac?
We will show you how to free install Windows 11 on your Mac using Boot Camp. You can run Windows on Macs in many ways. We recommend using Parallels Virtual Machine to install Windows 11 on Macs. It allows you to instantly switch between macOS or Windows as the virtual machine runs both.
What is the best way to run Windows M1 on a Mac?
Parallels is the Best Method to Run Windows 10 on Mac for Free. Parallels makes it easy to install Windows 10 on macOS. Parallels makes it easy to switch between Windows apps or games and macOS with just one click. Parallels also allows you to use Windows M1 and M2 Macs. Jul 12, 2022
Is Windows 11 compatible with Intel Mac?
Good news! Parallels virtual environment allows you to install Windows 11 directly on your Mac. It simulates the TPM module practically so you can use Windows 11 with both Intel and M1/M2 Macs.